CHC53215 Diploma of Alcohol and Other Drugs
This qualification is designed to enable candidates to extend their skills, knowledge and understanding of workplace policy and procedures, and to provide advanced interventions in the areas of counselling, referral, advocacy and education/health promotion services.
Candidates will gain a greater understanding and expertise in assessments, interventions, clinical skills, supervision and counselling. Selected units on counselling are integrated into the course as well as more advanced work on statutory requirements and organisational management.
- Includes counselling, referral, advocacy and education/health promotion services.
- Requires high level specialist knowledge, skills and competencies especially in regard to laws affecting clients, the range of services available to them and health issues related to alcohol and drug use and misuse.
- Alcohol and drugs worker
- Community support worker
- Community rehabilitation and support worker
- CHC53215 Diploma of Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Windows - 2000, XP, Vista or Windows 7 OR
Apple - OS X or later OR
Linux - Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. Desktop Editions
- Word processing software such as Microsoft Word or Open Office Writer
- A web browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox
- Adobe Reader and Flash viewer (latest versions)
- 1.6 GHz CPU, 1GB of memory and at least 1GB of free hard drive space
- Video recording device such as mobile phone or video camera
- A connection to the internet, 56Kbps or higher
- Be recently appointed or currently working in an AOD or other community service role and have a relevant recognised higher education or vocational education qualification at Certificate IV or above;
- Be recently appointed or currently working in an AOD or other community service role and be recognised as competent, through a recognised training program or recognition process, against the following qualification (or equivalent): CHC40412 Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs;
- Be recently appointed or currently working in an AOD or other community service role and have sufficient work experience in the relevant sector to indicate likely success at this level of qualification in a job role involving:
- The application of knowledge with depth in some areas and demonstration of a broad range of technical and other skills;
- A wide range of tasks and roles in a variety of contexts, with complexity in the range and choices of actions required;
- The exercise of discretionary judgement and decision making under general guidance.
Occupational titles may include:
Student’s competency against the unit of competency specifications is assessed during each unit undertaken throughout the course. Students are provided with opportunities for re-assessment if they fail to demonstrate competency during assessment tasks.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
All students are provided with the opportunity to have their prior learning and experience assessed and recognised (Recognition of Prior Learning). Students who have successfully completed whole units of competency with another nationally recognised training provider that are identical to any of those contained within this course can apply for National Recognition.
On successful completion of this course, students will receive:
The course is provided through flexible delivery of accredited training with online support in the form of manuals, learning materials and assessments as well as support via telephone, emails and forums. It is suitable for people with intermediate computer literacy. The format is similar to 'distance learning' and requires good time management skills.
You will require the following in order to be able to undertake this course:
Questions about Flexible Delivery?
Take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Expected study hours per week: 6-8
Course Duration: 17 months
Course participants are required to have a position for a minimum of two days per week in an AOD or other community service (e.g. housing, youth, justice, mental health) in order to complete this qualification.
First Aid Certificate
Course participants will need to provide a current senior first aid certificate (equivalent to unit HLTAID003 - Provide first aid
Course Start Date
6 February 2017
Government Funded Price: $847.50*
Tell a friend about this course.